- Advance the productive capacity of our agricultural sector and other sectors reliant on a supply chain over the mountains.
- Improve and lower transport costs, access to new markets and potentially more affordable input costs.
- Help the Government and businesses to capitalise on existing infrastructure commitments, namely the Western Sydney Airport and Inland Rail projects.
- Drive growth in both regions and take the pressure off Sydney’s west in terms of congestion and housing choice.
- Drive improved social outcomes by addressing population growth pressure and the liveability of our suburbs.
- Provide a safer and quicker link over the mountains
- Unleash the tourism potential west of the mountains.
- Open up the Central West region and bring cost of living benefits to the region, including the choice of more affordable housing for people who live in Western Sydney, and cheaper goods and services along the supply chain.
- Significantly drive down the costs for the trucking industry, in terms of fuel and maintenance.
MAKE A STATEMENT OF SUPPORT
WRITE A LETTER
In Australia, only 30% of the population lives outside of towns and cities with a population of less than 300,000. In the United States this number exceeds 60%. We don’t seem to understand the potential for decentralisation and regional growth, particularly given the acute congestion problems and housing unaffordability in places like Western Sydney.
Both Lithgow and Western Sydney will benefit from improving trans-Blue Mountains transport links, industry and economic connections. Linking Western Sydney Airport to the agricultural, manufacturing and tourism markets of central NSW.
Whether it be pioneering the future of infrastructure, or enjoying the humbles of his favourite sporting teams he chairs, Anthony Shepherd AO, or as we know him, Tony, has continuously put his personal and professional efforts towards the betterment of his Community.
Tony’s career portfolio speaks volumes as a leader and highly respected member in Australian infrastructure both private and public, which saw him lead from the front through projects of the likes of NASA tracking stations, ANZAC Warships, the Sydney Harbour Tunnel and of recent WestConnex.
In addition to being an integral board member of the Snowy Hydro and Chairman of Australian Subscription Television and Radio Association.
It’s fair to say, this fearless leader is a visionary and believes in the importance and need for The Western Link initiative, and initiative that is in support of better and improved connections for The Central West and surrounding communities.
An upgrade will reduce congestion and provide safer, more efficient, and reliable journeys across the Blue Mountains. The Western Link has foreseeable benefits for both Western Sydney and The Central West Regions.
As the president of the Lithgow chamber of Commerce I fully support the upgrade of the great western Highway between Katoomba and Lithgow to a 4 lane 100kph Highway. Over the years there has been massive upgrades to both the Pacific Highway and the Hume Highway providing a 4 lane plus connection from the north and south of the state through to Sydney. The majority of these roads is at 110kph. Now is the time to ensure that the Central West is placed on a more even playing field to the rest of NSW. The communities west of Sydney deserve proper transport links with their capital city and I applaud the Minister for regional roads Hon. Paul Toole for making this happen